Cleaning Pennies

I just thought I'd post some penny cleaning pictures! I don't know if we did it "right" but it seemed to work!

The tray set up:
Dirty Penny Dish
Bowl of Lime Slices, Bowl of Salt, Bowl of Water
Dish Rag, Clean Penny Dish

Photobucket

Our procedure was:
1- Choose a dirty penny
2- Choose a lime slice
3- Dip the lime slice into the salt
4- Rub the penny with the salted lime
5- Rinse the penny in the clean water
6- Rub the penny dry
7- Put the clean penny into the clean dish

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We are going to have the shiniest pennies this side of the Mississippi! (Oh, and Caleb does NOT like the taste of salt and lime just in case anyone was wondering.)

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Thanks for posting this, Heidi! After I read it, I thought, "This is perfect for this sick-cooped-up-day, and we even have limes!" I failed to consider how my son would handle it. He liked it at first, but quickly worried about his hands getting all messy. Then, he spent some time crying about his dry, cracked hands, which hurt from the lime juice. Oy! My hands were full, but I enjoyed it! We tried to focus on the shiny pennies we got, not all the dirty ones we didn't do. If nothing else, it was a great way to introduce him to monetary values, Abraham Lincoln, and Simon got to practice putting pennies in the piggy bank (which he's getting so good at!).

I'll do this one again. Keep sharing! Thanks!